Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Ghost Rider

I went to the cheap seats last night and saw Ghost Rider. Now, let me start by saying, most critics panned this movie. Nicolas Cage did a horrible job acting. The story was fluff and not deep enough. The critiques just keep on coming. Well, I disagree with them completely.

Of course, everyone has an opinion, and apparently some get paid for their opinion, so here is mine.

Back in the day, my family took a trip to Nova Scotia. Unfortunately, we had an unplanned stay over. But because of this, I bought my first comic, which was The Hulk. When I got back home, I bought my second comic, which was Ghost Rider.

I really dislike Nicolas Cage. He plays the same character in every movie he is in. But I liked him in GR. He fit the part perfectly. Plus it helped his head was on fire.

The story had its own charm, giving a great background on how Johnny Blaze signs over his soul to Mephistopheles and becomes the "Spirit of Vengeance". The effects were amazing. The first ride by GR was awesome as he melted the asphalt on the street and lit everything in sight on fire. The scene where GR comes riding down the building and creates a crater when he lands was totally awesome. Another favorite scene is when Carter Slade, aka The Caretaker, takes his final ride as a Ghost Rider and both he and Blaze are riding side by side, JB on his bike and CS on his horse. Amazing. Sam Elliot was perfectly cast as Slade.

This was well worth seeing on the big screen, and I'll definitely add this DVD to the collection when it is released.

Added bonus: GR art by Marc Silvestri!


No comments: