Monday, January 31, 2005

Ultimate Fantasic Four Volume 2: Doom

Ultimate Fantasic Four Volume 2: Doom

Just got this in the mail from Amazon.com. I am very impressed with this book. Warren Ellis picks up where Bendis left off in Volume 1: The Fantastic with a very entertaining reinvention of the classic Fantastic Four. Volume 2 includes Reed sitting down with Ben Grimm in his altered rocky state and asking if he still goes to the bathroom. Ben Grimm repsponds by telling Richards that he doesn't want the details. I laughed out loud. Great writing and as I keep mentioning, a great new take on a classic group. I thought the "Ultimate" titles were just a gig to sell more comics, and maybe it is, but I have really enjoyed the FF Ultimate titles. Volume 3 is scheduled to be released this summer, so I will make sure to put it on my wish list.

The art by Stuart Immonen is not as good as the first book which was done by Andy Kubert, but there are plenty action scenes that make up for it. The Doctor Doom redesign is wicked. Instead of wearing his tell-tale armor, his trip through the N-Zone has turned his organic materials, skin and inards, into armor. And he has these wicked goat hoof type legs. Put a rocket launcher in his metallic hands and you have a truly nasty bad guy. Like Doom is supposed to be.

No comments: