Wednesday, January 05, 2005

10 Words to Know

MSN has the list of the ten words you must know to enhance your vocabulary. My two favorites are:

Defenestrate: to throw someone or something out of a window

Digerati: computer experts: people who have or claim to have a sophisticated expertise in the area of computers, the Internet, and the World Wide Web.

I’d like to think myself a member of the Digerati, but I have a feeling I come up a little short.

I actually have been using defenstrate for quite some time. A gentleman that I worked with was a lover of words, particularly big words and or rare ones. I first learned of defenestration from him.

The next time I came across defenestration was in regards to history. In 1618 we have the Defenestration of Prague. An assembly of Protestants tried two Imperial governors (William Slavata and Jaroslav Martinic) for violating the Letter of Majesty, found them guilty and threw them, together with their scribe (Fabricius), out of the castle windows; they landed in some manure, and none was seriously injured. This kicks of the 30 Years War (1618-1648).