Tuesday, January 11, 2005

"Call me Ishmael"

A classic line that I have quoted often, but never read. I have endeavored to read The Whale, more commonly known as Moby Dick. The funny thing is that when I have told some people that I was going to read one of the greatest works of literature ever, they actually wish me good luck. I thought that funny, but now I know why.

Now growing up, I never read any of the "classics". When I had passed from picture books to more substantial reading, I went directly to comic books. While others where cutting their teeth on novels for young readers, I was expanding my vocabulary with comic books like Ghost Rider, Fantasic Four, the Hulk, and Iron Man. When I got to high school, I never took an English class that required me to read the "classics". During my teen years it was Stephen King, Brian Lumley, and Marvel Comics.

It was when I met my wife that I decided that I needed to read some of those titles that had passed me by, such as The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, so forth and so on, and I have enjoyed them greatly.

I do remember as a child having an illustrated "chapter" book on Moby Dick. The pictures were cool.

Now as I read The Whale, I am enjoying it. The story is great, but Melville seems excessively wordy, just for the sake of being wordy. A tangent here and a tangent there. Like some random, low-flying thoughts happened to make it into the text.

I'll let you know how the book is after finishing. Currently, Ahab has given up his reclusiveness and has ventured on deck. Now the crap is gonna hit the fan. A lunatic and a leviathan. They don't make books like this anymore (and that might be a good thing).