Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Shuffling the iPod

Yesterday, I lauded the release of the iPod Shuffle, saying that it was some of the best news I had heard in awhile.

While browsing this morning, I came across some comments on Instapundit about the Shuffle’s possible lasting appeal and its abilties in terms of playing music because it was initially believed that the “Shuffle” aspect of the iPod means it doesn’t play your tunes in order, it mixes them up. It will take a random sampling of songs from your iTunes library to give you a fresh mix each time you upload if you want, but it will also play created songlists.

Personally, I am looking forward to getting a shuffle. For me, as is the case for some of you as well, I would love to have an iPod to put my entire music collection on, but $300 is a lot of cash. The Shuffle now gives the rest of us an affordable, iTunes compatible MP3 player. Why do I need to have my entire music collection on an iPod? I really don’t. Being able to create a playlist that can contain up to 240 songs should be enough to entertain anybody for awhile.

It certainly will entertain me and I look forward to doing a little Shuffle.