Monday, October 18, 2004

Jars of Clay in Concert

I went and saw Jars of Clay play at our very own Maine Center for the Arts in Orono, Maine last night. Awesome concert. Opening for Jars was Trevor Morgan and Sarah Kelly.

Trevor Morgan started the evening with a short three song set that featured only himself on acoustic and a buddy of his with a drum. It was too bad that he only got to play three songs because he was great. On his final song he busted a string, but being a professional this didn't slow him down.

Not much to say about Sarah Kelly. She put on a good show. I was very impressed with her lead guitarist. He played a Les Paul and did some really cool slide work.

Jars was simply awesome. They played a great selection of songs that spanned their career. As a guitar player, I was enthralled watching them play. That is the problem with me an concerts. While everyone else is having a great time, I am completely focused on the guitarists to see if I can pick up some new techniques. The highlight of the evening for me was when they played "Flood". What a great song to see performed live.

The MCA concert was a very intimate setting seating only 1,600. It was a great experience. If you have a chance to get out and see Jars, I highly recommend it.

No comments: