Monday, October 11, 2004

Gotham by Gaslight: A Tale of the Batman



As I was going through my box of old comics the other day I came across this gem. I bought this book way back in 1989 because the art fascinated me and the story was about Bats taking on Jack the Ripper in 1889. I was strictly a Marvel Comics guy back then and never bought DC, but I thought it was cool that a Batman comic would be set in 1800's, so I figured I would get it.

I was very surprised when I pulled the comic out last week and happened to notice that the artist was none other than Hellboy creator Mike Mignola. I was shocked. Mike Mignola's name didn't mean much to me back in '89. It certainly does now. This book came out several years before Hellboy hit the stands, and Mignola's styling in this book is a definite precursor to Hellboy works.

This book is out of print, but if you can find a copy it is worth the read, espcecially if you are a fan of Mignola.

No comments: