Friday, February 03, 2006

iPod Lawsuit?

Most of the time when I see this kind of story I cringe at the state of our society. A man is suing Apple because apparently the iPod is an unsafe device and can cause hearing damage. The man has new proof that he has hearing damage, but that doesn’t stop him from getting all sue happy.

However, he might have a point. Not that he should be suing because of it.

A friend of mine who worked at a speech and hearing office did say that using the earbuds can cause hearing damage, because it is closer to the ear canal and can damage the precious little hairs in your canals, therefore leading to deafness (at least this is how I remembered be told). Plus, the earbuds just don’t diffuse enough sound. Since I have some tonal loss and tinnitus due to the idiocity of my youth (a rock band), I’ve switched to headphones that sit around my neck and cover my ears. They let plenty of sound out.

Nevertheless, here is a good way to listen to your iPod and keep your hearing. Turn it down!!! Just because it can push out more than 100 decibels doesn’t mean you have to you have to listen to it at 100 db. Use some common sense (hysterical laughing breaks out at the mere mention of these two long-forgotten words).

No comments: