Saturday, July 31, 2004

Superman #207



I'm now realizing why I never picked up the comic 100 Bullets written by Brian Azzarello. I don't like his writing and I don't think he is doing the Superman title any favors. His script isn't doing Jim Lee's artistic abitlities any favors either. I was intrigued with some of his ideas in the first Superman issue he wrote (#204), but now I'm just ticking off the months until he is off the book. I was doing a litte surfing and read about a forum where you could complain (not the exact wording but cleaned up to keep the rating G) about how much of a better writer Azzarello was than Jeph Loeb, an incredible Superman writer. Hah! Loeb can write circles around Mr. Azzarello. Last Year's Batman: Hush series was awesome. Written by Loeb and drawn by Lee. It was a brilliant combination and it catapulted Batman to the top of the comic heap. Not the case with Azzarello. As soon as he took over the Batman writing, I stopped buying the book. But enough cracking on Azzarello. I'll move onto the this month's issue of Supes.

Issue #207 is at least better than last month's fare. The Superman Homepage really blast the story last issue, and notes that Azzarello's story did nothing for Jim Lee's talent. Some will say that comics are about story, which is obviously nice, but comics are a visual medium, and if the art is awful or there isn't some action then why read a comic. I can buy a novel and get a great story. The two need to go hand in hand.

In the last issue we are introduced to a new villian called Equus. Some action between Supes and this new baddie, but not much. This issue is the rematch. Some seriously cool fight sequences between the two. This saves the book. Mr. Azzarello might consider giving up writing for comics and move to novels. He has the potential to be a great writer, writing his own material, not trying to adapt to such an iconic figure as Superman or Batman.

Hopefully this creative team will come up with something that will ultimately be an incredible work of art with a great surprise ending. Until then I an crossing the months off until Azzarello is gone and they replace him with... Jeph Loeb? I could only hope.

No comments: