Saturday, October 01, 2005

Sweet Serenity

I caught a late night showing of Serenity last night, and me being one who usually doesn't go out late, it was so worth it.

I have to say that "Serenity" is the best movie I have seen this year (Sorry, Batman). Matt Roush over at TV Guide thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but thinks Whedon's storytelling is better showcased on the small screen (Link via Whedonesque). I disagree.

Whedon's unique Western/Sci-Fi blend was amazing on the big screen. While I enjoyed watching the "Firefly" series, the movie had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Now, some have said that there is no appeal for anyone that was not a fan of the show. Here again I disagree. Whedon's script gives first timers plenty of background so they are up to speed on what has transpired. But, I have to say, that as a fan of the show, I was way more invested in the characters, actually cared what happened to them, then a first time viewer might be.

The cast, which included everyone from the TV series, was amazing. The transition from the small screen to the big screen was seamless. Once again, Whedon went against the norm casting all the actors from the TV show, no big names, just good actors. Summer Glau, who plays the troubled teen River Tam, was the focal point of the story, and was awesome in action. The few glimpses of killer instinct we saw in the "Firefly" series really comes to life in this film. At one point she clears out a bar, and even puts Jayne (Adam Baldwin), the resident tough guy aboard Serenity, down for the count several times.

Visually, the film was stunning. Everything about it was awesome. The space scenes were epic. The fight scenes were intense and well choreographed. The acting was great and Whedon infused plenty of humor into a very serious story. There were even a few surprises which I won't elaborate on here so as not to spoil the film for any fans out there that haven't seen it yet. Definitely some surprises.

Joss Whedon is a genius, and I look forward to more adventures with the crew of the Serenity, whether it be on TV or at the Theater.

Worth the full price of admission.

No comments: