Monday, December 13, 2004

I'm lost. I've been infected by Captain Trips.

A few weeks ago, Hugh Hewitt pondered whether there were any modern novels worth reading more than once and asked for suggestions. One of my own suggestions was The Stand by Stephen King.

Well, I started reading The Stand this morning, and King has his hooks in me and I can't get away. An epic story about good and evil. An deadly new strain of the flu virus is released at a military facility, which is named Captain Trips, and wipes out approximately 94% of the world's population. The story is about the remaining people that are immune to the virus and the evil that rises up to wipe out the rest of hummanity.

Love him or hate him, Stephen King is an amazing author. He is a horror writer by trade; his subjects are grim and the violence very graphic, but he just has a way with telling a story. He immerses you in his world and you are so fascinated by it you don't want to leave, urged on to read "just one more page". This book is not for everyone, but if you do want a tale woven by a master storyteller and don't mind a little violence, this is the one for you.

I have to say that posting will be almost non-existent until The Stand is finished. I have been sucked into King's world, and Captain Trips and the Dark Man are waiting for me.

Only 900 pages to go.