Friday, November 02, 2007

A funny thing happened on the way to the civic center...

Well, I just got back from my very first Alternative Education Association (AEA) conference, and a good time was had by all.

My cohorts and myself traveled down to Distgusta (Oops, I mean Augusta) this morning for the all day event. Most of the sessions were well done and very informative. It is always great when you go to a conference and actually get some information that can actually be used in everyday life. We came away with a couple of jems that we are going to use on, I mean with, the students.

Now, this is the first time that all three of us were going to be gone at the same time, and after we told the kids we were giving them the day off, we found out we were going to have substitutes to fill our shoes. Now, this could have gone a whole lot of ways wrong. But, thank God, it didn't. Most of the kids showed up, which is amazing in itself, and the place was still standing when we got back, which is also amazing. One of the subs knows our kids very well and was way more positive about the kids behavior today than the new sub. When reported that the kids just sat around and did no work, the sub was very disappointed at this. Well, in a regular setting, probably so, but, seeing who are population is and what could have happened, this was a walk in the park.

Plus, my English class went great!!! They worked hard and did a good job. Oh, I've got them trained...

Now, we are off to some friends to play games, eat and party down!!!

No comments: