Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Departed

I just watched The Departed, and that is 2 1/2 hours of my life I can't get back. I hated it. I've had a ton of people I know recommend it because they thought it was awesome. I am so disappointed.

But, I think I now why I hated it. It wasn't Scorsese, even though I think he is overrated. It definitely wasn't Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg or Matt Damon. It might have been DiCaprio (or as I call him "De"Crap"rio), but I doubt it.

It was the script. The story was actually very good. It kept you guessing to the very end. But it was very disjointed. There was no sense of time, except when they told you how much time had passed. One minute Leo's starting his undercover thing, and then suddenly a year passed.

But my biggest complaint was the language. Now, those who know me know I'm no prude and have been known to throw around a colorful word here or there, but this was just nonstop vulgarness. There was some very nasty references to other races and about women as well, which I feel were unnecessary because they certainly didn't enhance or move the story along. This is definitely a film for adults and mature teens.

I won't pan the thing entirely, but I am only gonna give it a two out of four stars. Not worth admission, but a rental, especially if you can get it for free.

No comments: