Wednesday, May 03, 2006

How Opal Mehta got pulled from the shelves…

Copy or coincidence? Now, while I certainly don’t condone plagiarism (who would?), I wonder if this really is a case of prolific plagiarism or just a young impressionable kid emulating other authors that she enjoys.

I wonder, if you took all the books published in the world and compared them by genre, how many would truly have “similar” wording and phrases. I mean, c’mon, there is no new thing under sun.

Is she guilty? I don’t really know, and don’t much care really. If people want to read it, let them read it. Don’t pull it off the shelves. Don’t kill her deal. Let the readers decide. That could be death enough for her writing by itself.

Give her a chance to pen the second book. It might be all original work, even though I kind of doubt it.

No comments: