Thursday, March 09, 2006

Death of a blog

Well, I haven’t blogged in a while, and honestly I have had little desire. As I look at the news each day, nothing grabs me, not even this hairy crustacean.



But, here is a vain attempt at some less than deep thought.

I don’t think the much-hyped Origami is going to be as big a seller as Microsoft hopes. Why, you ask? Well, for me, because it runs Windows XP. When Apple creates a portable, handheld computer, we’ll talk.



This story really shouldn’t surprise anyone: Negative Perceptions of Islam Growing.

Well, when you have predominately Islamic countries like Iran wanting to build nukes and cause the U.S. “pain”, it’s hard to portray what should be a peaceful religion as that. When you have Muslims rioting over Danish cartoons (just an excuse for violence, when there should be forgiveness), and Iraqis blowing each other up, it is kind of hard to feel the love. The Middle East is just waiting to tear itself apart. Like most groups, the Muslim majority that is peaceful is getting the shaft from the violent lunatics. It isn’t the first time that the many are negatively effected by the few.

Now on to game time, and this seems as good a time for a rant as any.

As any reader of this blog knows (I know you are few), I have been devoting too much time to playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live. While I thoroughly enjoy the game, I have to say, the people that tend to play it can lean toward the reprobate side of things. When I play a ranked Rumble Pit game, I tend to leave my headset unplugged and enjoy the action. Today, I made the mistake of plugging in to give a listen. I was assaulted by some of the foulest language and demeaning comments I could possibly conceive. I hate to say it, but I was so taken aback it threw me a little off my game, obviously the goal of these foul-mouthed teens.

Was I surprised? Sadly no. This seems to be the norm. Apparently, some members of the Halo community have 1.) way too much time on their hands, 2.) no social lives outside of online gaming, because they certainly don’t have any social skills, and 3.) are hard-wired badly or Mom and Dad failed somewhere in teaching manners to their offspring.

Will this keep me from gaming online? Heck no! I enjoy the down and dirty play as a single in the Pit, but the real fun comes when I get on with my friends, either my local pals or the people of Seasoned Gamers.

In fact, I think there will be a little community of my fellow well-mannered, older gamers on tonight for a little action in the Pit.

No comments: