Friday, August 05, 2005

The Record Companies Just Don't Get It

This article was mind-boggling to me, especially in this, the day of digital music. CD companies, such as Sony BMG, are selling CDs that don't let you import them into iTunes or your iPod.

So why buy them?

I am part of the iPod community, and honestly, I'm not going to buy a CD I can't import into my pod. I actually bought a Chris Tomlin CD while I was at a concert, but the first thing I did when I got home was to import it into iTunes, then to my iPod. I wouldn't have bought it if that wasn't an option.

Actually, I don't even really buy CDs anymore. I just get stuff from the iTunes music store. In this digital world, why do I want a bunch of discs cluttering up my house? Lyrics are available everywhere online, and when you download the album cover comes with the album. When I download from the Apple store, I'm getting what I really want, which is the music, devoid of all the extraneous packaging.

The record companies need to wake up and stop alienating its customers. Stop all these ridiculous attempts to stem "piracy". Get the deal done with Apple and just offer everything through iTunes.

From now on I won't buy another CD. If I can't get it from Apple, I guess I don't need to listen to it.

No comments: