Tuesday, August 10, 2004

The Bourne Supremacy

I went and saw The Bourne Supremacy last night. What an awesome movie! There is only one weak point to this film, and I'll get to that in a minute.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Bourne Identity, but did not read the book, so I have no idea how close or how far off the movie was from the book. If you are the type that likes a movie to be based on the book, don't bother to see this film. The broad theme of the book is translated into the movie, but nothing else. Bourne is drawn out because something happens to Marie, he becomes the hunter, and tracks down his foes with ardent fervor. That is the only similarities. I long ago got over any need for a book based movie to be the same as the written work. On that basis the Supremacy movie is great. The story is compelling, and I watched anxiously to find out how Mr. Bourne was going to survive any given situation. The car chase scene was just amazing. Those European cars sure have some stamina.

Now for the only flaw I personally found with this movie, and I have heard this criticism from a few people I have talked to. I don't know what the cinematographer was going for, but this film is visually exhausting to watch. To much camera action. Instead of panning back and giving us the audience a good look at the action, he tries to put us right in the middle of it. So instead of a nice clear shot, the camera is jiggling all over the place, and it gets very confusing at times. I wish the camera work was a little more traditional. It would of made the movie a pure joy to watch, not mental exercise.

Great movie. I will add this to my DVD library when it comes out.

No comments: