Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I, Robot

Much to Esther's chagrin, the Sci-Fi theme continues, at least for a little while.

I just finished reading I, Robot by Isaac Asimov. We have been doing a Sci-Fi unit for English class, so I figured the way to end the unit was to watch a Sci-Fi movie, and because we had read an Asimov short story, I decided to watch the movie of the same name.

If you look at Amazon or your local book store, you'll find the I, Robot cover with the ever-hunky, Big Willie style all up in it, Will Smith cover. But do not be fooled gentle reader, the book has little to do with the movie. Some of the themes and characters are the same, but that is where the similarities end. Detective Dale Spooner, the main character, isn't even in the book.

With that said, the Asimov book is pretty good. It is a collection of short stories all revolving around robots and the Three Laws of robotics. It is dated, but still a good read. A couple of the stories had more appeal for me than the others.

I would only recommend this book for the hardcore Sci-Fi fan.

No comments: