Sunday, June 17, 2007

Why I bother...

Okay gentle reader, I know it has been a long time since I posted and there probably isn't anyone out there left to read this, but I'm gonna write any. Hi to all the peeps that regularly check this site, namely Peter, Kev and Ame, Esther, Scott and my lovely wife.

I have just survived my first year teaching in an alternative ed high school. What is "alternative education" you ask? That is a great question, and depending on where you are and who you ask, you're going to get a variety of answers.

This is what alternative ed is for us. We are part of Brewer High, just off site. Our kids get a diploma just like the kids at the high school. We just do things a little differently...

We have a variety of kids that are with us for a variety of reasons. Yes, we do have some special ed kids with some issues, but nothing major. We have some kids that are gifted and talented. We have kids with some health issues. Usually kids come to us because they are either 1) behind in credits due to dropping out, jail time, illness, etc. or 2) the high school with 900 students just doesn't work for them. Sometimes they come for both reasons.

We have small classes, with about 35 kids for three of us. Between the three of us we have taught roughly 15 different classes, ranging from English to math to science to Russian to guitar to performing arts and the list goes on.

When I first got into education, I was all excited and altruistic and thought "I am going to impact young lives for the better". Uh huh. Nine years in and I hadn't seen any of that. Well, this year was different. Way different. I've been able to help and positively impact a bunch of kids this year. It was an amazing experience to have one of the kid's parents come up to me and thank me with tears in her eyes about how I have been such a positive influence on her son and made a real impact on his life. Finally...

So, I have the summer off for the first time in my life. I'm mentally wiped out after a long year. I'll be doing some summer school stuff and then my "Honey-do" list kicks in, but it looks like I have all of August off.

Oh yeah!!!

3 comments:

Esther said...

Yay! You opened your blog up for comments. Sorry I haven't read this till now, but I am glad that you feel that this job has been worthwhile and meaningful. Those kids are lucky to have you, Bruce, and Dave. Way to go COD!

Esther said...

Urgh! I just had a whole comment ready to go and it disappeared when I tried to login. Anyway, what I previously said was I'm glad you've opened this up to comments. And, I am glad that you have enjoyed your job this past year. And, the kids are lucky to have you!

Kokeshi said...

Just passing by... A random search on Google came with your blog, which shares its names with mine (see w-o-t.blogspot.com).

Being a teacher for five years now, I sympathiez with what you wrote.

Take care.