Sunday, September 24, 2006

Jericho to bite the dust?

I read an Ass-ociated Press article in my local paper about shows that are likely to bite the dust early in the Fall '06, and one of my new favorites Jericho was listed. The writer said the show was "too dark" and depressing and not likey to survive because of this.

I hope he's wrong.

After watching the first episode, I had goose bumps. The premise of the show is that in the small town of Jericho, Kansas, small town life is at its best. Prodigal son Jake returns home in time for a nuclear mushroom cloud to be seen in the distance. The first show focuses on the first 18 hours after the bomb blast. A group of school kids goes missing, an empty prison bus is found on the side of the road, and the townsfolk already start turning on each other. The tension is palpable.

The last scene of the show shows the character Emily driving to Witchita to pick up her hubby-to-be. The road seems to be very bumpy and she pulls over to find out what the problem is. Waiting for her are hundreds of dead crows littering the road. I had the chills.

Like most great shows, if they don't pull in the ratings they get cancelled. I hope this isn't the case with Jericho.

No comments: