Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Intel Inside

That is the new sticker that is going to be on all new Apple computers probably by next year. Apple has dumped IBM and the PowerPC chip for Intel’s processor.

This will hopefully mean a wider variety of affordable Macs for the masses. I am eyeing a Powerbook myself, and would welcome a price cut.

But I am not sure how I feel about the switch. Once it has taken place, the Windows operating system could then be loaded on a Mac without an emulator. Apple is not going to sell Windows software, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to run it on your new PowerMac.

It seems to me that the Mac experience won’t be the same.

But on the flipside, I remember reading something about CHRP, which is Common Hardware Reference Platform. It basically meant that there wasn’t going to be “Macs” and “PeeCees” per say, but rather a “computer” that all software was designed to run on.

Sounds like Apple is taking the first step to achieve this.

No comments: